What's new, improved, and fixed in NavVis VLX
Release date: November 28th, 2023
Captured images can now be browsed from the preview screen.
The auto-triggering mechanism now stops while the scan is paused.
When attempting to upgrade the software on devices, checking for an available internet connection now also checks if repo2.navvis.com is available, which allows devices to be updated on a restricted network.
Release Date: October 16th, 2023
The image quality was significantly improved, now yielding crisper images with sharper details and lower noise.
Improved the speed and thread utilization of the panorama rendering process.
Release Date: September 21st, 2023
Introduced the Save button to the control point renaming function.
Internal optimizations improved the mapping performance.
Users will only be warned once when they reach the maximum recommended scanning time.
Release Date: August 8th, 2023
Significantly reduced visually noticeable drift during mapping (NavVis VLX 3 only).
Control points are now listed from most recently recorded to oldest.
The display now enters energy saving mode after 30 minutes of inactivity.
Resolved a timing issue that could lead to mismatching textures in the colored point cloud.
Release Date: June 20th, 2023
- The live visualization can now be controlled intuitively via touch gestures to zoom, pan, and rotate the map.
NavVis VLX now calculates and displays area according to the same metric as NavVis IVION Processing for billing purposes.
The virtual keyboard no longer hides the currently selected control point input screen.
Release Date: April 12th; 2023
Users can now change dataset names directly on the device.
When taking control points, users now receive live feedback if the minimum required number of control points is not met.
Release Date: March 7th, 2023
Users can now zoom and pan when previewing datasets on the device.
A redesign of the icons makes the control point screen easier to use.
Connectivity issues that prevented some NavVis VLX devices from connecting to the internet have been resolved.
The SLAM now waits for data from the Lidar before starting initialization to prevent crashes after startup.
Release date: January 17th, 2023
Improved performance and reduced lags when working with large datasets.
When a mapping is finished, the finalization step has been improved for greater robustness and reduced time.
When entering dataset names, the screen now remembers the custom naming or naming assistant used last time and uses it by default.
In some extremely rare circumstances there was data loss if the internal clock was not correctly set up, but this issue has been solved.
An issue occurred where images shown on the preview screen during mapping did not appear in the correct order.
Release date: November 17th, 2022
The shutdown of a mapping has been revised to correctly store the relevant statistics for long and large datasets.
Release Date: October 12th, 2022
Improved performance of SLAM for significantly reduced latency during mapping.
The shutdown of a mapping has been revised to correctly store the relevant metadata for long and large datasets.
Under certain specific circumstances, the user interface could display incorrectly.
Fixed a problem that could cause the mapping duration to be missing in the meta-information of the dataset, which could cause problems during post-processing.
An issue causing trajectory information to not be captured correctly has been resolved.
An issue causing the deletion of a dataset in the user interface to fail has been resolved.
- The initialization procedure of internal components has been improved to prevent issues when starting the mapping.
The mapping device will no longer shut down if the batteries do not return status updates.
Release Date: June 27th, 2022
A new safety mechanism will warn you before the device overheats and shuts it down if necessary.
- We significantly improved the capturing of panoramic images while scanning in low-light conditions.
- We improved the brightness of captured panoramic images in cloudy outdoor conditions.
- The frame rate of the real-time quality map is now dynamically adjusted, leading to fewer lags, which results in a more responsive user interface.
- The camera now takes less time to initialize on startup.
- We introduced the capture version in metadata of images to make it easier for the post-processing software to apply the correct image processing techniques based on the version.
The dashboard state is now saved and restored when the user interface crashes and restarts.
We removed the ability to view application logs from the user interface.
Release Date: May 19th, 2022
We added audio feedback for important events and time-consuming tasks.
- We fixed a user interface rendering issue that can cause weaker performance during scanning.
- We fixed an issue that can cause a misalignment between the quality map and the laser scans during scanning.
Release Date: March 18th, 2022
We fixed an issue that prevented the saving of Panoramic images during the mapping completion.
Release Date: March 10th, 2022
- You can now toggle between automatic and manual camera triggering from the top bar without accessing the Settings menu.
- After you capture an image, a thumbnail of that image is displayed in the user interface, and you can preview the image by tapping the thumbnail.
- You can now check captured images during and after a scan and delete them right from the device.
The small preview images stored in the recorded datasets now have orientation information in their exchangeable image file format (EXIF) header.
When naming a dataset, you can no longer enter invalid characters that cause post-processing errors.
We fixed rendering issues that caused the user interface to behave unexpectedly during scanning.
We made minor reliability improvements.
Release Date: December 13th, 2021
- We improved the preservation of highlights for preview images.
- When the device is not connected to the internet, the screen with the message to connect now automatically proceeds to the next screen when you connect an Ethernet cable to the device.
- If the cameras are triggered automatically and manually at the same time, only one image is now captured.
- We fixed the capture of images when triggering the cameras fast.
- We fixed a crash of the camera drivers.
- We improved internal error handling of the user interface.
- We fixed a problem preventing a full re-installation of packages on the device.
The sensor initialization is now more reliable after device startup.
Release Date: November 23rd, 2021
- The camera trigger distance you set from the user interface is remembered after reboots and consecutive scans.
- We improved the logging of errors, warnings, and information for support and diagnosis purposes.
- We prevented occasional software driver crashes. This improved reliability of image capturing by limiting the capture rate.
- Cameras that trigger manually and automatically at the same time now capture only one image.